Tuesday 6 October 2015

Fun with Food! When you can't have the traditional stuff



Hello there!

I know it's been absolute AGESSS!!

But I can totally explain...

Well I got married, moved to another country..and had to start my salon business all over again..but more on that in another blog post...(after all, I have to get you to come back to this blog somehow right ;))

I put up a post on Facebook today and I was reminded of how much I have been shirking my blogging duties, so I decided to finish one of the four drafts that have been sitting here forever...

But I digress...

Today we're going to talk about one of my favourite things, FOOD!

And although it may not look so, for those of you who know how 'long and lingay' I am.. I LOVE FOOD!

So most of you all know I'm on a special diet to control my IBS and acid reflux...and I get asked all the time " Ermahgerdd!! so what CAN you eat??!!"

The answer...lots of things..they just happen to not be processed foods..

One of the most painful things about this diet however, was having to give up sweets and pastries; I have a notorious sweet tooth, and I was known as the "snack machine" at university. Anybody could pass by me any hour of the day or night for something to eat.

Soo I can't have delicious jam, jelly, sugar, cheese and custard filled pastries, or ice cream, or cake, or...anything...conventional..

But I'm telling you, it's possible to have goodies even on a restricted diet..or even if you just want to have nice goodies but without all those processed flours and additives that usually go into such things..

You just have to be open to using unconventional ingredients or typical ingredients in new ways. You also have to understand that it's probably not going to taste like conventional food items, but that isn't necessarily  a bad thing. I find it actually tastes better :P..but I'm biased...

So since discovering alternative flours..such as plantain, sweet poatato, cassava, tapioca and coconut flour, I have been having a TIME making paleo goodies..I also now have a pinterest board that I create every year with my paleo Christmas menu. Yes this is serious business!

I have other boards on there with paleo real food recipes for everything under the sun :) I could make something different every day and never be bored for the rest of my life...literally...


Did you know you can make pastelle from PLANTAIN?!!

Yes that's right!
This is the recipe right here!

Now conventional flours do not work like regular ol' wheat flour, and there are many blog posts that explain how they work and talk about ratios and all those fun math cooking calculations (so exciting!)..but I like things that have been tried and tested so I usually just follow a recipe from a well known paleo blogger who has put out a cookbook...because recipe testing with alternative flours is expensive, and the way my wallet is set up...well you ketch my drift... me can't afford to waste a bag of flour trying ah ting...

Pictured: some muffins I made a while back. I think they were banana

..annd when I'm feeling extra lazy and want some goodies that taste EXACTLY like good ole conventional flour and sugar filled cakes and pastries and whatever other dessert I feel like having, I just call up my girl Nathalia Lee of Pink Chef Catering. When I tell you, people CYANNOTH tell the difference! She is amazing and she can make ANYTHING to suit your specific dietary needs. She makes ROTI, you hearing me, ROTI from alternative flours and BUSS UP SHUT TOO!!!! You can hit her up at 1-868-752-8528 or email her at nathalialee@yahoo.com. Oh and she's also at the Upmarket every month. Well now that I'm in another country I shall have to find another grain free baker...but that's ok..I usually only have those things on special occasions anyway...


So bottom line..have fun with food...try something different..yuh might like it!

xo

Renz



p.s I dyed my hair purple a few months ago..but I'm bored with the colour so I'll probably change it..will probably do a blog post on that when I do :)


2 comments:

  1. ded!!! @ CYANNOTH....LOL!!!! I cannot give up sweets...or pasta...which aren't good for me since i have PCOS. I admire your resilience and commitment to the paleo...but on a more serious note...i really do have to get back on track regarding my eating...loved this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol girl Stepehn Jones has made that my new fave word!!

      Girl I am telling you, there's no better feeling in the world than not feeling sick after eating. And continuous hammering on your body from eating trigger foods has long term effects, none of which are nice. Find a diet that works for you. I know better than anybody how hard it is to say no and to explain but people will understand eventually. And they will look out for you once they understand. I had a time trying to get my family to understand my diet, but now they are my biggest supporters. And there's an allergen free alternative for EVERYTHING you like, sweets and pasta included..you just need to do a little googling or call up The Pink Chef lol, she will definitely hook you up.

      Delete